Adobe Illustrator CC 2017: Part 1 Boot Camp- 1 Day (ACE)
To meet the demands of individuals and organizations for flexible, reusable, and easily modified visual content, Adobe Systems has created a cadre of applications that collectively provide a scalable, end-to-end solution for nearly every type of visual design project one can contemplate. Called Creative Cloud (CC), the collection of applications perform specialized design tasks while interoperating among each other to deliver superlative content.
This course focuses on Adobe Illustrator CC (2017), the component within CC used to create “drawn” graphics, while enabling its users to integrate content from other domains (such as photo-oriented graphics and animation, which belong to Adobe Photoshop and Flash). With Illustrator's many, easily used tools, you will discover that not only can you unlock the same creative impulses you've always had as you've picked up a pencil to sketch out an idea, but also capture those multiple ideas and “what ifs” during the creative process in ways that you never imagined. And for those of you who are just embarking on building your creative skills, you will be surprised at “how good” your work will appear, even at the outset of your exploration of the world of graphic design.
This course is a great component of your preparation for the Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) Illustrator CC exam and the Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) Graphic Design & Illustration Using Adobe Illustrator exam. See the files in the Exam Mapping for Illustrator CC folder in the course data files for information on how the exam topics are addressed in the material.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to use Adobe Illustrator CC (2015.3) to create illustrations that include graphics and text.
- Identify the components and capabilities of Illustrator CC.
- Create basic shapes.
- Create custom paths.
- Create graphics that contain custom text.
- Customize objects.
- Customize basic shapes.
- Prepare documents for deployment.
This course is intended for designers, publishers, pre-press professionals, marketing communications professionals, or people switching to a design job or taking on design responsibilities and who need to use Illustrator to create illustrations, logos, advertisements, or other graphic documents.
To ensure your success in this course, you should be familiar with the basic functions of your computer’s operating system, such as creating folders, launching programs, and working with windows. You should also have basic Windows application skills, such as copying and pasting objects, formatting text, saving files, and so on.
Familiarity with basic design terminology, such as palettes, color modes, shapes, text, and paths, is highly recommended.
You can obtain this level of skill and knowledge by taking one of the following Logical Operations courses:
- Using Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Using Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 10: Transition from Windows 7
Course-specific Technical Requirements
For this course, you will need one computer for each student and one for the instructor. Each computer will need the following minimum hardware configurations:
- Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 (or compatible) processor
- 2 gigabyte (GB) RAM (2 GB for 32-bit and 8 GB for 64-bit is recommended)
- 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
- 1,024 × 768 resolution monitor (1,280 × 800 recommended)
- Internet connection and registration necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services
- Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)
- Printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
- Projection system to display the instructor's computer screen
- Microsoft Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1), or 8/8.1, or 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Adobe Illustrator CC (2017)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or another PDF viewer
- If necessary, software for viewing the course slides (instructor machine only)
NOTE: This course was created and keychecked using Windows 10.
Lesson 1: Introducing Illustrator CC
Topic A: Apply Design Principles, Elements, and Graphics Composition
Topic B: Evaluate Graphics Scalability
Topic C: Navigate the User Interface
Topic D: Customize the User Interface
Lesson 2: Creating Documents Containing Basic Shapes
Topic A: Create Documents
Topic B: Save Documents
Topic C: Draw Basic Shapes
Lesson 3: Creating Documents Containing Customized Paths
Topic A: Draw Paths
Topic B: Modify Paths
Lesson 4: Creating Graphics Containing Customized Text
Topic A: Insert Text
Topic B: Apply Flow Text Along a Path
Topic C: Insert Bounded and Threaded Text
Topic D: Apply Text Styles
Topic E: Insert Typographical Characters
Lesson 5: Customizing Objects
Topic A: Import, Place, and Link Graphics
Topic B: Alter the Appearance of Objects
Lesson 6: Customizing Basic Shapes
Topic A: Apply Strokes and Brushes
Topic B: Fill Shapes
Topic C: Apply Graphics Styles
Topic D: Distort Text with Text Envelopes
Lesson 7: Preparing Documents for Deployment
Topic A: Update Text
Topic B: Wrap Text
Topic C: Hyphenate Text
Topic D: Optimize Content for Print
Topic E: Optimize Content for the Web
Topic F: Optimize Content for PDF Documents